Lesley Jane Seymour believes it’s never too late for reinvention. Learn how she helps women reinvent themselves in the CoveyClub.
Lesley Jane Seymour is a media entrepreneur and founder of CoveyClub, a club for life-long learners. Lesley served as Editor-In-Chief of More Magazine, the leading lifestyle magazine for women over forty with a readership of 1.5 million. Before taking over More, Lesley served as the Editor-in-Chief for Marie Claire, Redbook, YM, and Beauty Director of Glamour, and copywriter and senior editor at Vogue.
In this episode of the Woman of Value Podcast:
- How Lesley reinvented herself many times
- The far-reaching benefits of reinvention at any stage of life
- The secrets to running a successful company
- Why where you come from doesn’t have to determine where you’re going in life
- The power of a growth mindset
- And so much more!
S3 EP 10: Lesley Jane Seymour – It Ain’t Over ‘Til I Say It’s Over!
WHAT DOES WOMAN OF VALUE MEAN TO YOU?
We’re all women of value. Having worked with women my entire career. If we were truly equal, I wouldn’t have had a career. I spent my career convincing the world that women have value.
YOUR ‘AHA’ WOMAN OF VALUE MOMENT
There are so many pivotal moments for me. I knew I wanted to be a writer at a young age, as I was brought up in a home where I had to be quiet and zip it. I wanted to tell my story and tell other people’s stories. That was pivotal for me. I liked corporate life, but I had men above me telling me what to do, even though they didn’t know as much as I did. That wasn’t okay.
When More magazine was closed, I was getting my degree at Columbia in sustainability. Publishing was sad, declining, firing people and not compensating them for working on the weekends. I didn’t want to get another job in publishing.
I wanted to segue into a sector that was growing. Then, they pulled the plug on More magazine two years early. My readers came to me and asked me to do something else for them.
I surveyed women, took their ideas, made a map, and created CoveyClub.
CoveyClub took the More Magazine concept of ‘what’s next for you’, and we made it digital.
We have original content by great writers. We teach many times a week, everything from LinkedIn profiles, to resume writing, to anything relating to lifestyle. We’ve been doing Zoom sessions for years. We also do live events, and we do a retreat every year. We’ll be doing regional stuff in 2022.
I have a podcast all about reinvention called Reinvent Yourself with Lesley Jane Seymour. It doesn’t matter what your background is. You can reinvent yourself. You have to ask for help, get some tools, and do whatever you want. The most important thing is the mindset that “I can do it.” We have wonderful coaching sessions weekly.
I love what I do. We’re at a stage of having to scale. We are google for women 40 plus, but analog. Covey is a nest. We hold women in the nest and give them tools and experts t help them decide what their next act is. We’re about business and friendship.
THE LIGHTNING ROUND
- I used to think I wasn’t clever enough.
- What was the #1 thing holding you back from becoming a woman
of value? I had a pretty rotten childhood, so I had to really do my work. I didn’t have support. I had to create support.
- What’s the best advice you can give to a woman who wants to
become more empowered? Ask for help. Know yourself. That’s how you become empowered.
- What advice would you give to your younger self? Know what you’re going through is not the whole world. The world will see you differently when you’re older.
- What’s something people get wrong about you? They think I’ve figured it all out, but I haven’t.
- How would you like to be remembered? I want to matter, and I know I do and have. I like that I have a life where I matter to others in a positive way.
Connect with Lesley!
Subscribe/Rate/Review the Woman of Value Podcast!
►► Apple Podcasts http://bit.ly/womanofvalue
►► Spotify http://bit.ly/wovspotify
►► Stitcher http://bit.ly/wovstitcher
or wherever you listen to podcasts!
►► Get Sandy’s book, Becoming a Woman of Value; How to Thrive in Life and Love on Amazon